Here is another vocabulary course for a classic UK TV show from the 1980’s. It’s a historical comedy, and this episode is set during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the first. I recommend that you read the questions on this page, then watch the corresponding episode (try and find this online), then answer the questions and check your answers (scroll down to find the answers). Finally, retell the episode to whomever you are learning English with.
Blackadder the Second – Bells
- What does Kate’s Father want her to do, and why?
- What does Kate decide to do?
- Who is Percy’s new girlfriend?
- Why does Blackadder fire Baldrick?
- Why does Blackadder go to the doctor?
- What cure does the Doctor prescribe Blackadder?
- Who does Baldrick recommend seeing instead of a Doctor?
- What is her advice for Blackadder?
- What is Nursey’s real name?
- Who would Blackadder like to be his best man?
- What does Blackadder do when he meets his father-in-law?
- Why is the wedding delayed?
- What does Lord Melchet say is the custom when Blackadder’s bride runs off with the best man?
Match the words on the left with their definitions
|Poverty||A place selected as the aim for an arrow|
|A fortune||A type of weapon shot from a bow|
|A beggar||A lack of money|
|A target||A lot of money|
|An arrow||A friend|
|A thousand to one chance||Someone who asks for money|
|A willy||Unable to see|
|A chum||A person who performs domestic duties for s.o|
|Odd||A very unlikely probability|
|Filthy||To be very hungry or die from lack of food|
|Stark raving mad||Very dirty|
|To starve||To be attracted to s.o / to want s.t|
|To be fired||To pretend to be someone else by altering your appearance|
|To wrestle||To cut off hair with a razor|
|To fancy s.o / to fancy s.t||A winkle (childish word for a boys genitals)|
|To disguise oneself as||To fight with grappling and throwing|
|To shave||To be sacked|
Now use the words in the left column in the following sentences (in the correct forms)